Monday, October 22, 2007

Wow! Seems like an eternity since I last posted on this blog. Nobody remembers it anymore anyways. There hasn't been much happening on it for more than a year now. So, I guess its about time I started posting again.

The issue with blog posting is that you need to have a topic to ramble about. Although, rambling has never been a problem with me, but finding an interesting topic is not so easy. You give me a topic and I can talk and express my opinions about it till the time would last. Va La! That gives me a topic for this post - 'The Art of Rambling'.


Rambling is highly underrated in the current society, and I guess the reason being the fast paced lives that people are living. Moreover, the art of digression is looked down upon by the so-called practical modern people. But I strongly disagree with this misconception. In my opinion, digression is an exercise to 'slightly' drift away from the topic of discussion to understand it from another perspective or to explore other dimensions that might have been overlooked during the formulation of the first narrow definition of the concept. Moreover, rambling about a topic also gives you insight into related matters and issues that are, to some extent, correlated or might be correlated if you ramble further about the correlation itself.


I was first impressed by the power of digression while I was watching the movie (yeah yeah... I know about the whole "don't take movies seriously" ideology, but hey! You can find some really cool ideas there - anyways back to the topic) Swordfish. There is a scene in the beginning of the movie (and its prelude near the end of the movie) where John Travolta, Hugh Jackman and Don Cheadle are sitting in a coffee house discussing the concept of a movie where the antagonist wins in the end. Each one of them brings a different viewpoint to the table, but the most striking is the one presented by John. Its interesting to note how he presents an idea, then supports it, then reflects upon it, argues, refines, reflects, then again support, and finally reaches a conclusion. This is a classic example of digression to refine discussion.


In the end, I'd say that people should take more time off their day to day mundane activities to sit down and ramble over a few cups of coffee to come up with new ideas, views and philosophies. And who knows, some great idea might come up in some such discussion.


Until my next post ... Adios!

3 comments:

Just a try said...

is it a desperate effort to make junta listen to ur bakaiti??... good job though :)

Puneet Gupta said...

ok, since this blog is being read by multi-lingual crowd (and everybody understands english) i will have to translate some of the words in komal's comment -

junta = crowd
bakaiti = chatter

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your thesis here. And being so "philosophical", I would throw in my two cents. I agree rambling is a constructive discourse that can illuminate new ideas and creative concepts. However, rambling can contribute to the recurring theme in human history of miscommunication. What is left is the same unresolved threads of which one started with.

I liked this quote:

"It would be nice if we were to sit to sit down and ramble over a few cups of coffee to come up with new ideas, views and philosophies"

This is very poignant considering the lengths we go to ostracize and segregate each other. Perhaps we can move forward if we understood where each is coming from. But this is ramble of idealistic fool :)