I haven't had this discussion with anybody for a long time now and thought that this might be an interesting topic to discuss. You may assume that this is in continuation to my reply to Rahul's first comment on my blog entry 'Lets talk about idealism'. But truth be told, that was not my original intent and it is a fresh string of thought that spawned in my head today.
It started with the question - "What would you do if you see an event happening - which you find morally unjustifiable?" (I don't want to delve into the definition of 'morally justifiable' at this point but I am open to discussion about it). "How would you react?" "Would you take an action?"
This is not a new territory for me, as some of my old school friends would corroborate. I have had my fair share of fights and brawls with bullies in school. I couldn't stand and watch innocent people getting threatened and bullied and, hence, ended up in a lot of arguments and fights. People used to think I was being hot-headed, but the way I see it I was being radical. Although now I think of myself back then as this stupid kid who would break rules and get into trouble just to help an underdog out of a tight spot - but being a little objective - I would say it was my answer to the questions I just put before you.
I no longer agree with such an approach as it is too aggressive and destructive. Or maybe I am just getting wiser with old age :D . Anyways, my view has broadened regarding this issue now. I can still not accept apathy, but I think before I react. What I am trying to say is that don't neglect any situation which challenges your morals, but don't be quick to react. Look before you leap, but don't just sit and watch.
Monday, November 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment