Monday, January 21, 2008

How to get out of bed in the morning ?

I've been trying to find ways to wake up early in the morning (which for me means 8-9 am) but have been unsuccessful so far. With the spring semester around the corner (less that 12 hours remaining) I still have no solution to this problem. Here are some of the things I have tried and the various attacks that my subconscious devised against them :
  1. Wrist watch alarm - The most useless of all solutions. It only beeps for like 20 seconds. Saying that I am a monster when it comes to sleeping is an understatement. An ant against a lion ... tsk tsk.

  2. Coffee Machine Delay Brew - When I bought this new Mr. Coffee coffeemaker, I was hoping that it would be the end to lethargic languorous mornings because it had a delay brew feature (for beginners, a delay brew is like a timed brew. You put the water, filter and coffee and set a time for brewing). But I grossly underestimated my subconscious here. I did smell the aroma of fresh coffee, did hear the annoying belching sounds from the coffeemaker. But ignored it - simply ignored it :(

  3. Cellphone Alarm - This one has by far been the best solution, but it has its flaws. It usually works when I sleep light, but if I am tired and in a deep trance I just wake up for a fraction of a second and instinctively switch off the alarm. How I manage to find the "Exit" button in such little time, given that my reaction time is no better than an earthworm's at that moment, and I don't have my glasses on (and I am severely myopic) is another puzzle I have been trying to solve.

  4. Blinds off - This is the only working technique. The reasons being habit and practice. My parents used to wake me up by pulling up the curtains. I have learned through experience that sunshine has a stronger effect than caffeine. But there is a catch. I can't sleep with the blinds open - this weirdly placed streetlight outside our apartment throws light directly at our window, instead of the road (the traffic safety issues arising due to this are a different story).

So this is the current scenario. And with the classes about to start, I need to find a way asap. Please comment and enlighten me.

1 comment:

Me said...

maybe you should try the clock that sounds the alarm n then moves off to a different place after doing so. it might help. might.